Larry's Travels

Retired photographer and graphic artist enjoying travel.

Name:
Location: Palm Desert, California, United States

Monday, December 04, 2006

Larry's TravelsNovember 21

Well my day was blessed then leaving Taiwan, my name was called while waiting to board the plane to BKK. Of course we always awfulize the worst when your name is singled out from 300 other people. I approached the counter and was pleasantly surprised that I was upgraded to Business Class. I have no idea why but I was not about to argue. Unfortunately, after having a big meal on the Los Angeles to Taiwan leg and sleeping for 11 hours I was in no shape to take advantage of the perks of Business Class with the exception of a larger and very comfortable seat. This was a charming addition to the otherwise great service of EVA Airlines. They really do a great job.

I passed on the breakfast and concentrated on reading my book for the 3-1/2 hours to BKK but did enjoy the seat.

Aek met me at the arrival area of the beautiful new and VERY LARGE BKK airport. It is now the largest airline terminal in the world. Very slick and modern but a very long walk from the gate to the terminal. The moving walkways certainly helped but still a long walk. Immigration was a breeze with many slots and since I was one of the first people off the plane there was no line. The baggage was arriving as I got to the baggage area which is incredibly fast considering the amount of people and luggage on the 777. As I watched the first bag came off easily but my large suitcase was the only one that got stuck and landed on the top of a ledge of the baggage carousel. Asking the assistance of the guy handling the baggage was no help because he was too short to reach the bag. Thankfully a generous, very tall fellow tourist reached out and grabbed the bag and it went merrily on its way. Chasing it down, I finally was able to load it on my cart and off I went.

They now X-ray all the luggage as you exit the customs area, so again I had to lift the heavy bags onto the belt and again lift them off the belt and back onto my cart. Someday I will learn to pack lighter or not bring so much stuff to friends in Thailand and Cambodia!!

Aek was waiting with a big smile at the arrival area so I had someone who knew where to go from here. Poch, our first guide and now a friend, was there also with our friend from Bangkok Airlines, Arm. I will never thank Arm too much for getting me out of Phuket the day after the tsunami in 2005. It is nice to have friends in the airlines.

After a short wait, Allen arrived from Phuket and we all piled into a taxi van and off we went to Sathorn Place.

The afternoon was taken with updating Allen’s travels and my experiences for the last 3-1/2 weeks since Richard and Allen were in Asia.

After a short nap we joined some new friends at one of our favorite restaurants, Sphinx, for a very nice dinner. Allen had met two cousins from Napal. We both immediately thought that this was India but learned many new things about a new country for us. Katmandu was their home and one of them at 26 owned his own cosmetics company with over 25 lines of cosmetics. Very quiet and shy he is really on his way to much success. Very nice guys.

After dinner we went home for a very nice good nights sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home